Wednesday, May 26, 2010

IDOL LIVE predix: Season 9 winner

Before I justify my prediction for who will win the title of American Idol's ninth champion tonight, let me just say that even though last night was one of the most lopsided (if not the most lopsided) finales in the series' history, it was still pretty amazing just to think about how this was the last time Simon would be giving his signature critiques on this show. Granted, the finale was the most boring one in the show's entire history, and the season as a whole was without a doubt its worst, but right now it is not important to nitpick the season's problems. Instead, it's time to show some respect to its finalists (or at least one of them).

With that said, Crystal Bowersox should in no way, shape or form lose this competition after her showing last night. Although she wasn't pitch perfect during her three performance, Crystal easily won each round and absolutely nailed it on "Up to the Mountain," which ended up being the best performance of the season. True, that wasn't a very high bar for her to pass to earn that distinction but on a season filled with disappointing vocalists and total bores, Crystal is the one contestant who deserved better. Even though I was not a fan of her's over the course of the season, there was no denying she was the best of the worst and she showcased herself as a classy, veteran performer.

Lee DeWyze, on the other hand, was flat, pitchy, whiny and dull. So in other words, he would be the perfect match for this season as a whole. But even though it would make sense for him to win based on the fact that he has a Y chromosome (you basically need one nowadays to win this thing), Lee's mediocre vocal showings were not even on par with Blake Lewis's lazy performances. He probably gulped the majority of Casey's fans, though, which as we saw last season with Danny Gokey, really helped out Kris Allen.

By the way, I'm fully aware DialIdol has Lee winning (with a clearcut "green" bar to Crystal's "red" bar) and it has never been wrong on a predicting a winner, but at the same time neither have I. Although I was the most nervous during Season 4's finale, I always knew Carrie Underwood would win, and when everyone thought David Archuleta had it in the bag I stuck with David Cook.

So I don't really care if Lee does win because nothing could save this season from its own self-destruction. In fact, this show truly does deserve Lee as its winner because it would be the most ironic thing to send Simon off at the conclusion of the biggest joke of a season. If there's any ounce of dignity left in this show, however, Crystal will win (I know that's asking too much, though).

In my original predictions I had Siobhan winning, and considering the Top 2 we actually ended up with I don't think that would have been a bad thing to have her win it all.

Since the Top 24 I have correctly predicted 7-22 eliminations and since the Top 12 I have correctly predicted 3-10 eliminations.

No comments:

Search & Win