Monday, June 1, 2009

Flashback: Constantine Maroulis' "I Can't Make You Love Me"

Constantine Maroulis was known more for his high energy rock performances than he was his low-key ballads on the fourth season of Idol, but his take on Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" for the Music of the '90s theme during Top 10 week showed a different side of him. Watch the performance below:



Although his vocals were a little bit underwhelming, Constantine sure knew how to work the camera, with every technique in the book utilized from his longing gazes into the camera to running his hand through his hair. The performance was not one of his best, but it did a lot for Constantine in terms of showing his versatility when it came to the type of music he could tackle while on the show.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a difference 4 years makes! The Idol and current Tony nominee for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical (Constantine- for Rock of Ages), was recently asked in a NYTimes interview (Sun, May 31)if he watches his performances on Season 4, he responded, "I can't- I was so bad on that show."
I'd disagree, though it's true, he never really showed off his 'theater' voice as a contestant. He's certainly making up for it nowdays! Thanks for the memories!

Anonymous said...

I could watch that video over and over. Thanks for putting it up. I loved his performances on Idol. Right now he is exactly where he is supposed to be, IMO. A triple threat of great magnitude on Broadway - with a Tony nomination for best actor in a Musical! Too bad American Idol wasn't in the zone to encourage those who they thought "were too Broadway" in 2005. My how times have changed. LOL :)

Watch the Tony's Sunday night for a treat. It's going to ROCK!

Call Me The Queen said...

... it brings back sweet memories!!! Constantine was my favorite in S4 and i even had his image printed on my jacket, promise!!! i saved all his performances on CD and i have all his mp3s on my fon!!! There are only 2 AI alumni i adore - DAVID ARCHULETA and Constantine!!!

Search & Win