Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Track review: Taylor's "What's Right Is Right"

Following a short stint at Arista, Taylor Hicks sounds like he is in his comfort zone on new single “What’s Right Is Right,” the lead single off of his latest release ’The Distance’ (March 10).

“What’s Right Is Right” features laid back jazz elements that can easily coexist with Hicks’ soulful vocals and create a subdued mood. The single is a horse of a different color in that it retains a catchy chorus despite the fact that it is defined by its bluesy cartilage. The lyrics are simple yet comforting coming (“When you cry I’m cryin’ / when you laugh I’m laughin’”) from Hicks, as he provides a steady structure to lean on through difficult times.

If Hicks had been given the chance to pursue this direction at the outset, he might be in a much different place than he is now, but he must still be satisfied with how things turned out. The independent scene seems to fit Taylor Hicks just right.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the song and can't wait to hear the entire album on March 10!

judyjs said...

Taylor's talent is very charismatic. He has a beautiful voice. He is his own man. How refreshing. I love the new single. Looking forward to the new CD. I will defintely purchase it.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for Taylor, for "What's Right is Right" and anxiously awaiting "The Distance"... I'm glad that Taylor is getting to be "Taylor" - and yes, the indie scene suits him very well!

tishlp said...

I really enjoy the jazzy feel of this song also. Taylor really knows how to interpret a song. His voice sounds wonderful and there's no other voice around today like his. I'm looking forward to the whole album.

Anonymous said...

What I love most about this song is that it showcases Taylor's voice.I'm glad he's getting to record the music he wants to now and I can't wait til March 10th!

juliegr said...

For me, Taylor has a way of weaving passion, understanding, and promise into this beautifully performed first release. There will be many other songs on the new CD which might surpass this one but this was a fantastic choice to lead off. Thanks for the review. I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of the copy I pre-ordered from Amazon.

Sunny said...

This new material an improvement over the Idol CD. Looking forward to hearing other tracks on the record.

Anonymous said...

I love this song and the feeling expressed by Taylor's voice. Also heard "Nineteen" and it is amazing what Taylor can do. Can hardly wait for the Distance.

Search & Win