Monday, May 4, 2009

Flashback: Bucky Covington's "Fat Bottomed Girls"

Queen night brought a lot of exciting showcases on the fifth season of Idol. Who could forget Kellie Pickler's rocker alien chick rendition of "Bohemian Rhapsody"? But Bucky Covington's country take on "Fat Bottomed Girls" was among those that were underrated at the time. Watch the performance below:



Looking back, his vocals were nothing spectacular, and his ad-libbed "hey!" to finish off the spectacle was a mistake. Still, it was not the worst thing to go out on, but by the time the Top 8 rolled around there was hardly anything he could have done to stay in the competition much longer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the "hey" at the end. So proud of Bucky and Kellie and all the Season 5 Peeps!

Beverly C.

Anonymous said...

I think he would have done great the next week, it was Elvis week. Check out his "Suspicious Minds" here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zESfZVwm2dQ&feature=related

Love his new song also "I Want My Life Back"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRvEeLmECbg&feature=related

Hildi

Anonymous said...

I remember thinking that night after one of the judges commented that Bucky made "Fat Bottomed Girls" sound country that his rendition didn't sound all that different to me than the original version. I thought he did a good job with it...a shame he got voted off after that performance.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing back this video from the good old days. Season 5 was my favorite season and I particularly liked Bucky's version of "Fat Bottomed Girls". I have to agree with the above posters on all counts..I loved the HEY at the end. He felt he nailed it and so did the audience. He did not sound "country". The judges were ready for him to move on as he had unexpectantly surprised them with his popularity. That night he had the "kiss of death" first position.
I still hear about his success , so I do not think his "invitation to leave" that night hurt him at all.

Search & Win